I was going to apply for an absentee ballot for the presidential election, but I think I might just not... I just... can't bring myself to care enough! Is that bad?
I root for Obama mostly because he has the best chance of glue-sticking together the pieces of America's shattered international public image, but, dare I say, he's going to win anyway? People only care about Little Miss Obscure Runningmate because she's good office gossip, kind of like when Britney Spears gets another obscure boyfriend.
Call me when there's someone running for president who's found a way to just overhaul the entire system, so that the country is instilled with the compassion to actually care about the poor and frightened who are suffering while everyone else is arguing about frozen wildernesses and school classrooms, just trying to be louder and more angry than the other guy who also gets media coverage while the starving family who are living under a patch of trees are more drowned out. If everyone who gave money to their favorite political candidate gave it instead to the sick who can't see a doctor, the kids who have to steal to eat, the woman who has to live on the streets instead of with her abusive boyfriend, or the immigrant family who can't get a job because everyone sees them as nothing, the nation would be radically changed. But no, it's just a big circus show where everybody is trying to root for their opinions like a sports team.
Here are a few suggestions:
1) Want to be sure your child is taught something? TEACH HIM! Want to be sure he's not taught something? Stick him in a little box and keep him there! Now, go find a kid without any parents looking after him properly, and start teaching him what love is.
2) Have a problem with abortion? Don't abort! Have a problem with someone else having a problem with abortion? Get over it! Now, go find a girl who has been raped, and instead of arguing about what policy should be in place for what her options are, go comfort her and show her and help her in whatever way she needs helped.
3) What about the gays? Who cares! If you don't think they should marry, then don't marry them! If you think it's wrong, then think it's wrong! Now, go ask someone what you're doing that they think is wrong, and repent, so that you can live the blameless life you want everyone else to live.
4) Should God have any place in a school setting? It doesn't matter what you think - at all! If God exists, then you won't be able to keep him out, and if he doesn't, then it's irrelevant anyway, so what is everybody so scared of? Now, go find a kid with learning difficulties who can't even keep up with the constantly changing school curriculum, and spend time helping him study. Then, apologize to every teacher you see for making it so hard for them to do their job.
5) What do we do about the environment? Drive less (or give your car to someone who needs it!), buy less junk that turns into trash, invite someone to live in your extra bedroom so they don't have to buy a cheap new house, and then take all that desire to make the world a better place to live for future generations and use it to establish a norm of looking after people in need.
6) What should be done about wars/foreign policy? Destroy all the weapons, use the massive defense budget to sponsor EVERY child in the countries we are trying to 'help', and stop giving everyone so many excuses to attack us!
....OK, that will do for now. /end rant.
|comments: Leave a comment|